VirtualBox Extension Pack adds the following features to VirtualBox 7:
- RDP support for virtual machines: You can remotely connect to the VirtualBox 7 virtual machines using the Microsoft RDP (Remote Desktop Protocol) client on your Windows host (i.e. Windows 10/11 devices).
- Disk encryption: You can encrypt the virtual disks of the VirtualBox 7 virtual machines for securing the data of your virtual machines.
- NVMe support: NVMe storage devices can be added to the VirtualBox 7 virtual machines. This will improve the disk read/write performance of the VirtualBox 7 virtual machines.
- PXE boot for Intel NICs: Adds support for PXE booting if Intel network interface cards are used for the VirtualBox 7 virtual machines.
In this article, I will show you how to download and install the VirtualBox extension pack on VirtualBox 7.
- Checking VirtualBox Version
- Downloading VirtualBox Extension Pack for VirtualBox 7
- Installing VirtualBox Extension Pack on VirtualBox 7
The version number of the VirtualBox Extension Pack and VirtualBox should match for an error-free user experience. So, before you can download and install the VirtualBox Extension Pack on VirtualBox, it is a good idea to check the version number of the VirtualBox software that you have installed.
Open VirtualBox and click on Help > About VirtualBox to check the VirtualBox version number.
The version number of VirtualBox should be displayed in the bottom-right corner of the VirtualBox about window.
As you can see, I am running VirtualBox 7.0.4 (the latest one at the time of this writing). You may be using a later version of VirtualBox. In any case, make sure to replace this version number with yours from now on.
To download the VirtualBox Extension Pack for your VirtualBox version, open a web browser and visit the URL https://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/<version>/.
Once the page loads, click on the file “Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-<version>.vbox-extpack” as marked in the screenshot below.
NOTE: Make sure to replace <version> with the version number of the VirtualBox software you’re running. In my case, the URL is https://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/7.0.4/ and the file name is “Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-7.0.4.vbox-extpack”.
The VirtualBox 7 extension pack file is being downloaded. It will take a while to complete.
At this point, the VirtualBox 7 extension pack file should be downloaded.
To install VirtualBox Extension Pack on VirtualBox 7, open VirtualBox 7 and click on File > Tools > Extension Pack Manager.
You can also press <Ctrl> + T or Click on
From the VirtualBox 7 Extensions window, click on Install.
Select the VirtualBox extension pack file that you have downloaded and click on Open.
Click on Install.
Scroll all the way down and click on I Agree to accept the VirtualBox extension pack license agreement.
Type in your login password and click on Authenticate.
VirtualBox extension pack should be installed on VirtualBox 7.
In this article, I have shown you how to install the VirtualBox extension pack for your VirtualBox version and install it on VirtualBox 7.