Keycaps are small plastic covers placed over each keyboard’s key. They protect the switches and provide a way to customize the look of a keyboard. Keycaps can make a difference in typing experience, visibility, customization, and functionality. They can also make a keyboard more functional and attractive.
This article will discuss:
What is Keycap?
A keyboard’s individual keys are protected by little “plastic covers” called “keycaps”. They come in different materials and can have different “textures”, “shapes”, and “colors”. They offer a surface for typing and gaming while protecting the mechanical switches underneath. Keycaps can be removed and replaced, allowing users to customize their keyboard’s look and feel. Some users replace keycaps to improve the typing experience, visibility and personalize their keyboard:
Types of Keycaps
Several keycaps are available on the market, each with unique characteristics. Some of the most common types are as follows:
- “ABS”, abbreviated as “Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene” keycaps. These are the most common keycaps known for their durability and affordability. They are made from “thermoplastic” material and have a glossy finish.
- “PBT” or “Polybutylene Terephthalate” keycaps are famous for their stability, resistance to shine, and wearing resistance. Compared to ABS keycaps, they feel more textured and are considered higher quality.
- “Double-shot” keycaps are made by injecting two different colors of plastic into a mold, creating a keycap with a distinct color scheme.
- “Dye-sublimated” keycaps are made using a dye-sublimation process to print designs or patterns onto the keycaps.
- “Laser-etched” keycaps are made using a laser for etching designs or patterns onto the keycaps.
- “Silicone” keycaps are made of silicone and are flexible and nice to the touch. They are often used for gaming.
Which is the Best Keycap Material?
“ABS” is the most common type of keycap material. It is relatively inexpensive and has a softer plastic that generates a smoother, softer sound. In comparison, “PBT” is a high-quality keycap material than ABS. It is harder and has a more substantial sound. On the other hand, PBT keycaps are more costly than ABS keycaps. None of these is superior and a matter of personal preference. However, many people enjoy the sound of a premium ABS keycap:
Do Keycaps Make a Difference?
Keycaps can make a difference in terms of the feel and sound of typing, as well as the appearance of the keyboard. The Keycaps are made from different materials, such as ABS plastic or PBT plastic, to provide a different typing experience. They can be used to personalize the look of a keyboard and make it unique to the user. Some keycaps are specifically designed to improve typing speed or accuracy. For example, a keycap with a concave shape can make it easier to locate specific keys without looking at the keyboard. Keycaps can make a difference in several ways, such as the “Typing experience”, “Functionality”, and “Visibility”. However, it is a matter of personal preference whether or not the difference that keycaps make is significant.
Keycaps can make a difference in typing experience, customization, functionality, visibility, and replacement. They can also make a keyboard more functional and attractive. The best keycap material depends on the individual user’s needs and preferences. In this article, we discussed the keycaps, their types, and the difference in using them.