Sopcast Player is a simple, free way to broadcast video and audio or watch the video and listen to radio on the Internet. Soapcast for linux adopting a P2P (Peer-to-Peer) technology, it is very efficient and easy to use. With soapcast football, you can watch your favorite match anytime anywhere.
I wasn’t sure at first if this can be installed on Ubuntu 16.04 since the last known update worked till Ubuntu 14.04. So luckily for me after several attempts, I managed to download soapcast and install it on Ubuntu 16.04 and its working
Soapcast Player Main Features:
- State-of-the-art P2P technology, allowing you to share data among all viewers, as well as make the channel more available and stable.
- Minimal delay in the P2P streaming market.
- Fast buffering 10-30seconds.
- Firewall as well as NAT traversal technology to pass 90% P2P barriers.
- Build your own channels as well as broadcast it over the Internet.
- Streaming real time streams. Support for many streaming transport protocol. mms, http, etc.
- Streaming media files which includes asf, wmv, rm, rmvb, mp3, etc.
- Support for loop file playing.
- Extremely low memory footprint and CPU load.
- Standard channel URL: click on any sop:// URL to play.
- Real time monitor of broadcasting source quality and network quality to help viewers to select a appropriate channel.
- Record the clips when you are watching it.
- Can play the stream with your favorite player, such as Windows Media Player, RealPlayer, VLC, etc.
- Memory buffering, hence no harm to the hard disk.
- It supports authentication for both the broadcasters and the viewers. The broadcaster has full control on his channels.
- End-to-End security, encrypted messages, hi level P2P security, no hijack.
- Support multiple channels broadcast on the same server. Normally, you can run 5-10 channels on one PC.
- The Sop Player can be embedded into a webpage or any software applications. It works just like Windows Media Player.
- The Sop Server as well as Sop Player can be run both on Windows and Linux. The whole system can be ported to embedded Linux.
- Freeware, not ad/spy ware.
The most recent known stable Linux release is Soapcast Player 0.8.5. This addresses the following issues reported
- Fixed the problem that client can not login from some countries
- Minor bugs Fixed
How to Install Sopcast Player 0.8.5 on Ubuntu 16.04
- First install required dependency (sp-auth)
sudo apt-get install gdebi
---------- 32bit ---------- wget http://ppa.launchpad.net/lyc256/sopcast-player/ubuntu/pool/main/s/sp-auth/sp-auth_3.2.6~ppa1_i386.deb sudo gdebi sp-auth* ---------- 64bit ---------- wget http://ppa.launchpad.net/lyc256/sopcast-player/ubuntu/pool/main/s/sp-auth/sp-auth_3.2.6~ppa1_amd64.deb sudo gdebi sp-auth*
- Download and Install Sopcast
---------- 32bit ---------- wget http://ppa.launchpad.net/lyc256/sopcast-player/ubuntu/pool/main/s/sopcast-player/sopcast-player_0.8.5~ppa1_i386.deb sudo gdebi sopcast-player* ---------- 64bit ---------- wget http://ppa.launchpad.net/lyc256/sopcast-player/ubuntu/pool/main/s/sopcast-player/sopcast-player_0.8.5~ppa1_amd64.deb sudo gdebi sopcast-player*