SMPlayer 17.4 recently released, is the forth release of v17.0 series and it addresses a thumbnail generator issue which was fixed. The new v17.x series featured experimental support for Chromecast. Hence you can now send videos from app to your Chromecast device, including local files from your computer and online streams like TV channels or videos from sites like YouTube, Dailymotion, Vimeo, Vevo and many more. More info.
- Supports the most known formats and codecs: avi, mp4, mkv, mpeg, mov, divx, h.264… you can play all of them, thanks to its built-in codecs
- Can play YouTube videos and it’s also available an optional plugin to search for YouTube videos
- Comes with several skins and icon themes, so you can easily change the look of the player
- Can search and download subtitles from opensubtitles.org.
- Includes many advanced features like video and audio filters, change of the playback speed, adjustment of audio and subtitles delay, video equalizer… and many more
- Is available in more than 30 languages, including Spanish, German, French, Italian, Russian, Chinese, Japanese…
- Uses the award-winning MPlayer as playback engine, which is one of the best players in the world
Changelog since SMPlayer 17.1
- Experimental support to play videos on Chromecast, as well as subtitles
- Fix for YouTube
- On Linux SMPlayer now uses a different web server, included in the packages, to serve files for Chromecast. If you installed the package webfs you can uninstall it now since SMPlayer won’t use it anymore
- The option in the playlist to delete files from the disk has been removed
- Support for some of the #EXTVLCOPT options in m3u/m3u8 playlists. This may help to play online streams from playlists intended for VLC
- New options in the context menu of the playlist: ‘copy URL to clipboard’, ‘open source folder’ and ‘play on Chromecast’.
- Option to display bitrate information in the status bar.
- Possibility to display the playback time with milliseconds in the status bar.
- The option to add black borders on fullscreen is back (Preferences -> General -> Video)
- The option to delete files from the disk in the playlist is back but it’s disabled by default (you can enable it in Preferences -> Playlist -> Misc).
- New translation: Norwegian Bokmål
How to Install SMPlayer 17.4 on Ubuntu 17.04, Ubuntu 16.10, Ubuntu 16.04, Ubuntu 15.10, Ubuntu 15.04, Ubuntu 14.04, Linux Mint, Pinguy OS, Elementary OS
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:rvm/smplayer sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install smplayer smplayer-themes
How to uninstall SMPlayer from Ubuntu
sudo apt-get remove smplayer smplayer-themes