This tutorial shows you how to install SketchUp in Ubuntu 20.04.
What Is New with Sketchup?
- Upgrades to all features concerning the geometric intersection of designs, such as Stamp, Drape, and others.
- The undo option has been debugged and upgraded to be better at restoring geometric designs.
- The program no longer crashes when you upload a corrupted model file.
- Removing elements within groups has been made easier and less complex.
- The bug that caused a crash when auto-folding has been removed.
Installing SketchUp in Ubuntu 20.04 with Wine
We will be installing Sketchup on our Ubuntu 20.04 system with Wine, a free and open-source compatibility software that enables us to run windows applications on macOS and Linux distros.
Start by installing the latest version of Wine with the commands below:
If you get an error like the above command, issue the command provided below.
sudo apt-key add winehq.key && sudo apt update
Again, issue the following command.
Then, install wine by entering the following:
Issue the command below to configure wine:
Navigate to the Applications section and switch the Windows version to Windows 7.
Then, go to the libraries tab and create a new library named ‘riched20.’
Go to Downloads, select the exe file, and open the file with the first option selected in the list menu, as illustrated below:
Wait for the installation to complete, then click the Finish button when you are done.
Next, right-click the Sketchup launcher, go to Properties, and affix ‘/DisableRubyAPI.’
Then, fetch the library labeled ‘mfc100u.dll,’ copy it, and move it to the Wine folder. Press the Ctrl + H keys together to enable the hidden folders under Nautilus. Head over to the Home folder, go to the .wine/drive_c/windows/system32/ directory, and move it to this directory.
Now that you have SketchUp installed on your device, you have the means to create intricate designs and models with relative ease using a simple interface. Some of the most useful features that Sketchup has to offer include the following:
- A wide variety of modeling tools for architecture, interior design, landscaping, and animation.
- Double your productivity with a personalize-able user interface.
- Transfer your models between SketchUp and other modeling software with ease.
- Support for 3D printers to produce 3D models.
- Ultra-realistic and practical lighting, improved dynamics, and much more.