Messenger for Desktop formally called Whatsie, is a simple and beautifully designed desktop client app for Facebook Messenger. It allows you to chat without any distractions. This is an independent open source app hence its not affiliated whatsoever with Facebook. Furthermore, it is important to note that this is not an official supported project.
The latest stable release is v2.0.4 beta and it comes with just one change as well as a bug fix.
- Themes as well as Mini Mode
- Native Notifications (with reply on OS X)
- Spell Checker as well as Auto Correct
- Keyboard Shortcuts as well as automatic updates
- Launch on OS startup
Highlights of Previous Changelogs
- Remove custom context menu (temporarily) to fix crashes.
- Fix RightAlt+I opening dev tools, as well as added toggle to auto-hide the sidebar.
- Some dependency updates, as well as ffmpeg library replacement to be able to read patent protected sounds/videos
- Rework the tray icon menu, as well as fixed the scroll bar bug
- Add option to auto-update with the beta releases, as well as option to block the Facebook “seen” feature
- Fixed reduce size of website preview, as well as Don’t open messenger calls in browse
- As well as various fixes and improvements.
How to Install Messenger for Desktop – Messenger Facebook on Ubuntu 17.04, Ubuntu 16.10, Ubuntu 16.04, Ubuntu 15.04, Ubuntu 14.04
sudo apt-get install gdebi wget https://github.com/Aluxian/Messenger-for-Desktop/releases/download/v2.0.4/messengerfordesktop-2.0.4-linux-i386.deb sudo gdebi messengerfordesktop-2.0.4-linux-i386.deb messengerfordesktop
sudo apt-get install gdebi wget https://github.com/Aluxian/Messenger-for-Desktop/releases/download/v2.0.4/messengerfordesktop-2.0.4-linux-amd64.deb sudo gdebi messengerfordesktop-2.0.4-linux-amd64.deb messengerfordesktop
When you launch the app, you will be prompted to sign-in with your facebook credentials.
How to Install Messenger for Desktop – Messenger Facebook on CentOS 7, RHEL
wget https://github.com/Aluxian/Messenger-for-Desktop/releases/download/v2.0.4/messengerfordesktop-2.0.4-linux-i386.rpm rpm -Uvh messengerfordesktop-2.0.4-linux-i386.rpm messengerfordesktop
wget https://github.com/Aluxian/Messenger-for-Desktop/releases/download/v2.0.4/messengerfordesktop-2.0.4-linux-x86_64.rpm sudo rpm -Uvh messengerfordesktop-2.0.4-linux-x86_64.rpm messengerfordesktop
When you launch the app, you will be prompted to sign-in with your facebook credentials