Blender 2.78c the most recent stable release from the blender foundation, is a free, open-source 3D creation application. It supports 3D pipeline—modeling, rigging, animation, simulation, rendering, compositing and motion tracking, even video editing and game creation. Before we proceed on how to install blender on ubuntu, lets take a quick look at its features.
- Features a powerful new unbiased rendering engine called Cycles that offers stunning ultra-realistic rendering.
- It’s comprehensive array of modeling tools make creating, transforming as well as editing your models a breeze.
- With the new rendering engine the possibilities for materials are endless.
- Transforming a model into a posable character has never been easier!
- Whether it’s simple keyframing or complex walk-cycles, Blender allows artists to turn their still characters into impressive animations
- Experience the joy of sculpting organic subjects using the built-in sculpting feature set of Blender
- Easily unwrap your mesh right inside Blender, and use image textures or paint your own directly onto the model
- It comes with a fully fledged compositor built right in. That means no more exporting to third party programs, you can do it all without leaving the program
- Whether you need a crumbling building, rain, fire, smoke, fluid, cloth or full on destruction, app delivers great looking results
- Included is a complete game engine, allowing you to create a fully featured 3d game right inside Blender
- now includes production ready camera and object tracking. Allowing you to import raw footage, track the footage, mask areas and see the camera movements live in your 3d scene. Eliminating the need to switch between programs
- With a large community of enthusiasts and developers, Blender comes loaded with a vast array of extensions that you can turn on or off easily
- Blender even comes with a built-in Video Editor. The Video Editor allows you to perform basic actions like video cuts and splicing, as well as more complex tasks like video masking
Blender 2.78c Key Hightlights
- Faster rendering of Motion blur with hair, which has a 5-10 time speedup – important for production rendering
- Several memory savings & speedups, support for CPU groups
- Support for GTX NVIDIA 10×0, improved support for GTX 980 Ti and Titan X, memory improvements for CUDA & OpenCL
- Cycles now supports rendering spherical stereo images for VR. Including support for pole merging to reduce artifacts when looking straight up or down
- The Blender GLSL viewport now supports more shading features to match the final render
- Render border is now compatible with cached render results (image above), save buffers and full sample anti-aliasing, camera frame
- Allows Blender to work in a way similar to other 2D drawing software, and to get a production ready 2D animation tool that can mix 2D drawings with 3D objects and composition
See release notes for full details
How to install Blender 2.78c on Ubuntu 17.04, Ubuntu 16.10, Ubuntu 16.04, Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf, Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet, Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr and derivative systems like Linux Mint 17.2 Rafaela, Linux Mint 17.1 Rebecca, Linux Mint 17 Qiana, Pinguy OS 14.04, Elementary OS 0.3 Freya, Deepin 2014, Peppermint 6, Peppermint 5, LXLE 14.04 and Linux Lite 2
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:thomas-schiex/blender sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install blender
How to remove Blender from Ubuntu
sudo apt-get remove blender