Cinnamon Desktop 3.2.8 recently released, is a Linux desktop which provides advanced innovative features and a traditional user experience. The desktop layout is similar to Gnome 2. The underlying technology is forked from Gnome Shell. The emphasis is put on making users feel at home and providing them with an easy to use and comfortable desktop experience.
This latest release comes with a number of fixes highlighted below.
Cinnamon Desktop 3.2.8 Changelog:
- menu applet: Only construct one context menu for recent files, and re-use it.
- cs_screensaver.py: Re-use the Gtk.Socket always – it can hold both Gtk.Plugs and normal Gtk.Widgets, just treat it like a normal bin/container. This seems to assist on ref-cleanup and child reaping when switching screensavers. (observed on Arch, reported on Arch and Fedora)
- menu applet: Don’t reconstruct recent files, just re-order, add, remove as required.
- menu applet: Fix a couple of minor leaks (actors created but never added to a container – being GInitiallyUnowned, they never get their floating ref sunk, and so can’t be unreffed. Fix a prototype mis-match, and just rename GenericButton to NoRecentDocsButton, since that’s the only user of it.
- menu applet: Some fixes for previous commits, don’t be so destructive when refreshing applications.
- Revert “cs_screensaver.py: Re-use the Gtk.Socket always – it can hold both Gtk.Plugs”
- Fix tuples for python 3.6
- tooltips.js: add a hide timer to check if a tooltip should hide itself, but for various reasons never got to act on a leave-event (due to vagaries in event reporting).
- recent applet: Rework to be non-destructive when updating the recent list (this brings a lot of the recent changes to the menu applet over to this one.)
- recents, applets: Couple warning cleanups
- network applet: Remove a useless log warning. At some point more than a year ago we started getting these (possibly a change to network-manager), they have no value whatsoever, but fill up the log.
Install Cinnamon 3.2.8 on Linux Mint
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gwendal-lebihan-dev/cinnamon-nightly sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install cinnamon
Remove Cinnamon 3.2.8
sudo apt-get install ppa-purge sudo ppa-purge ppa:gwendal-lebihan-dev/cinnamon-nightly
Install Cinnamon 3.2.8 on Ubuntu 16.10, Ubuntu 16.04
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:embrosyn/cinnamon sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install cinnamon cinnamon-core
Remove Cinnamon 3.2.8
sudo ppa-purge ppa:embrosyn/cinnamon
After installing Cinnamon on your machine, logout or reboot your machine, then Select “Cinnamon” from the Select Desktop Environment screen before logging in.